- More stable feedstock price compared to volatility of world oil price.
- Less energy needed to produce
- Not from fossil fuel
- Oil based plastics do not compost easily – 100s of years required
- Higher strength than PET, up to 15%
- Greater Modulus than PET up to 30%
- Greater toughness up to 85%
- Site between PET and PC (Polycarbonate) for performance
A comparison table of PLA with other plastics can be found on the Natureworks website.
There are a few big name brands who have moved across to using bioplastics, learn who they are here.